One dead, as shallow 5.3 magnitude earthquake shakes up southern Italy

(Oct 26, 2012) A magnitude 5.3 earthquake struck north of Cosenza in southern Italy early on Friday, and police said a hospital had been evacuated after cracks were found in its structure, but there were no reports of injuries. The quake hit at 1:05 a.m. (2305 GMT on Thursday) about 3.8 km (2.4 miles) underground, north of Cosenza in the Pollino mountains area on the border of the southern regions of Calabria and Basilicata, according to data from the Italian Geophysics Institute (INGV). It said on its website that at least 14 other tremors followed the initial earthquake. An Italian police official told Reuters a hospital in the small town of Mormanno had been evacuated as a precautionary measure because some cracks were found in its structure. Italian news agencies reported scenes of panic in the hospital and said many inhabitants of Mormanno and surrounding towns had come out in the streets. At least one death has been reported due to the quake.

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “One dead, as shallow 5.3 magnitude earthquake shakes up southern Italy

  1. Pingback: The 84-year-old victim suffered heart failure when the quake struck the province of Cosenza early on Friday and was dead before emergency services could reach him. « Family Survival Protocol

  2. Pingback: ROME — A hospital was evacuated after a magnitude-5 earthquake struck southern Italy early on Friday, authorities said. « Dogma and Geopolitics

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s